Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 2: Gather the Goods

Tuesday May 26th 2009

bricks made and sand in place...now lets go get gravel...


7am sharp! Ready to go! I arrived on the site to see that the workers had already made about 50 cement bricks. They were going to finish making the bricks for the first few layers of the foundation while I went with the others to gather the gravel. So we went to the part of town where one could find gravel with a huge oil drum, shovel, bucket and a push cart. Tractor anyone? At least a donkey…eh? This was also no easy feat as difficulties with the elevation and condition of the road permitted the haul to be harder than desired. Factor in the rising African sun and you have a recipe for sweat and toil at the hands of manual laborers. Since I am also a part of the community my contribution to this project rests in their assistance. I have been amazed at the amount of attention this brings when they see the “yovo” (foreigner) working alongside. I was at the back of the cart pushing with all my might as sweat poured down my face profusely. This attention has benefited my search for willing and able members of the community to work together to realize this goal. I have been blessed in all of my service to have a strong community of active participants in its development and for that I have faith in the success of this exhibition hall.


Thus, we hauled gravel, made bricks, and prepared the work for the week. “Little by little the bird makes his nest” they say here and thus it all began. I had proposed that the construction will take place over 7 weeks. The team of workers told me that they can get it built in 2. I refused to believe such a grand proposal but I don’t doubt its possibilities. Work like this can be completed in a short period of time as long as all the money is there. Luckily the contributions of both parties are present and since constructions here in Africa are not as restrictive with building codes and permits, well 2 weeks it is. I still made them swear on their word, for if it is possible then we could have up to an extra month to make sure the activities of the center begin to take full form before my depart and the volunteer who will replace me arrives to assist.

gathering gravel with the "pousse pousse" to deposit at the site for brick construction


No comments:

Post a Comment