Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 7: Seal of Approval

Tuesday June 2nd 2009
Today, the carpenter and others, along with I, went to trace the exhibition halls logo on the large hardwood door sitting in his shop ready for carving. I was asked by the association to design the logo that would be used on the hall as a reminder of my assistance and collaboration in it's creation. I was honored to leave a piece of design work, and had already prepared the sketch of what we used to host the community-wide talent show/spectacle.


Within time, the design was traced on the wood planks and ready for some sculpture work to be done. I was given the seal of approval as my “patron” reviewed the sketch to insure I correctly transferred the design. I aced my exam and we headed back to the site to remove the wood planks which allowed the cement to further cure as the hot African sun beats down.

Removing those planks was no easy feat and I popped in to inspect the process further. The carpenter was upset as he busted both heads off his hammers trying to pry the vises loose. Then there was just the obligatory, collection, and removal of all the nails and wood parts that then needed to be hauled off to their rightful owner. What better way to do it in Africa then, on your head while seated on a taxi-moto. They sure know how to use their heads here in more ways than one thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment